Q&A with Randy Kirk for National Principals Month

Alexis Davis

Principal Randy Kirk’s office is filled with momentos from his time here at Klein Collins.

Alexis Davis, Copy Editor

Legacy Press: What made you want to become a principal?

Randy Kirk: Originally, I didn’t want to go into education. With kind of a series of different events that occurred and one thing led to another and I got into administration, and I loved it. Initially I didn’t know if I really wanted to be a principal or not, but eventually I worked my way up. I became a principal and have loved every minute of it.

LP: What is your favorite part about being a principal?

RK: Getting to see and be around students everyday. Students come in as a freshman, and the look on their faces that is kind of overwhelming and then seeing them becomes seniors all grown up and fully confident is just really fun to see. Watching the students grow and getting to see the talent that everyone has, whether it’s fine arts, journalism, yearbook, athletics, it’s just really fun to see students grow in their talents.

LP: What is the most rewarding part of your job?

RK: Probably seeing some students come in without the same advantages of maybe some other students and seeing them work through whatever challenges they may have and then eventually getting to see them graduate.

LP: What is the most challenging part of your job?

RK: Making sure all the different things that go on in a large high school like Klein Collins are in check. There are deadlines that need to be met, making sure everyone is doing their job, and making sure that everything is done at a high level. There’s so much that goes on day to day it can be hard to keep up.

LP: What are some ways that you like to connect with your school and the community?
RK: Just trying to be visible in whatever way and communicating with the faculty and staff and attending different events.

LP: What are you hoping teaching and learning looks like in your school and how do you communicate that vision?
RK: I hope that students are engaged in meaningful learning activities, students can go into a classroom one day and the next day it may look different to the next day. We want to make sure that the students are fully engaged and they’re challenged in being successful. 

LP: What do you hope for your legacy to be after you leave Klein Collins?

RK: I hope that people have seen that our culture here at Klein Collins is different and family is number one and that working together Klein Collins has created an atmosphere where “excellence without compromise” is not only valued, but accomplished.