Goooal! Faculty vs. Student Soccer Game to be Held Feb. 19

This+is+the+first+year+Mens+Soccer+and+Cultural+Heritage+Appreciation+Club+have+joined+forces+for+a+joint-fundraiser.+

Courtesy Photo by http://homedust.com/

This is the first year Men’s Soccer and Cultural Heritage Appreciation Club have joined forces for a joint-fundraiser.

Kristen Conklin, News Editor-in-Chief

The Faculty vs. Student soccer game sponsored by Men’s Soccer and Cultural Heritage Appreciation Club will take place Feb. 19 on the soccer field from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

“Teaming-up with the Men’s Soccer team to host a faculty and student soccer game benefits everyone,” Cultural Heritage Appreciation Club sponsor Stephanie Vaughan said. “It helps to fulfill our goal of unifying and celebrating different cultural experiences and traditions. And even more importantly, it promotes building team spirit and school culture of pride.”

Senior Diego Cruz, secretary of Cultural Heritage Appreciation Club, and club member senior Paul Gomez came up with the idea to collaborate with Men’s Soccer for this fundraiser.

“Diego and Paul suggested that we have a teacher vs. student soccer game,” Vaughan said. “We all thought it was a great idea, so I let Diego take the lead on this project. At a later meeting, Diego reported that coach Hamlett agreed to having a soccer game. I later spoke with coach Hamlett to confirm a date and we proceeded from there.”

According to Cultural Heritage Appreciation Club president senior Mahogany Revada, the Faculty vs. Student soccer game will help the club raise money for a future trip to Italy.

“Italy is a place [for people] to expand because most people in our club are from other places,” Revada said. “We need to have more fundraisers. We really don’t want to pay out of pocket.”

Cruz said Cultural Heritage Appreciation Club “wants to celebrate diversity” during the Faculty vs. Student soccer game.

“In the club we have people from everywhere, all over the world,” Cruz said. “We’re trying to break those chains because sometimes people are [close minded].”

At the Faculty vs. Student soccer game, teachers and students can purchase concessions and t-shirts to support Cultural Heritage Appreciation Club and Men’s Soccer.

“Teachers and students should attend the game to show their support,” Vaughan said. “They should expect to see teachers and students playing soccer together; having fun; embracing our rich diversity and promoting school pride.”

For those interested in participating in the event, a sign-up sheet will be released prior to Feb. 19. Faculty vs. Student soccer game tickets can be purchased for $3 on School Cash. On the day of the event, tickets will be sold at the gate for $4.

For those interested interested in joining Cultural Heritage Appreciation Club, meetings take place in the library Wednesdays after school from 2:45 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.