Vaccine Distribution

(AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

Dorrit Crawford receives her first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine at a pop-up vaccination site.

Allie Leatherman, Editor-In-Chief

One of President Joe Biden’s top priorities is reopening schools and having in-person classes as the Covid-19 vaccine becomes available. Under Biden’s administration, the federal government is more involved with providing states with support to administer vaccines. Around eight percent of Americans have gotten at least one dose of the Covid-19 vaccine, but the current vaccines require two doses to be fully effective.

“I’m glad President Biden is trying to make it [vaccine distribution] more effective and efficient, but I don’t think there is much more he can do to significantly speed up the process,” World History teacher Mary Scherzer said. “I don’t think we will see a drop in infections until next year.”

Currently, new cases of Covid-19 are dropping steadily, but death rates are still high. Teachers are allowed to get the vaccine in 24 states, but not in Texas.

“I think the vaccine will help us be less fearful, if nothing else,” senior Isabel Spencer said. “Now that we have a vaccine, students might be more willing to come back to school.”

Online learning has had a significant impact on students, causing loss of motivation and highlighting existing mental health issues. 

“It has been really difficult for some of my students this year,” Scherzer said. “Not everyone learns best with exclusive use of computers, and some of my online students have really struggled without the structure an in-person learning environment provides. I definitely think the online option should remain available for students who are thriving with it right now, but the majority of students just do better mentally, emotionally and academically with in person learning.”

Schools, according to the CDC, are generally pretty safe and aren’t considered a superspreader of Covid-19. They recommend making the decision to stay online or switch to on campus learning depending on the student’s medical history and the number of cases in the area.

“I don’t think schools should completely reopen,” Spencer said. “It’s still not safe, even with the vaccine. Cases would just spike again.”

In the Klein district, students must keep up good grades if they want to continue being an online student. The only exception is a medical exemption.

“Students shouldn’t have to worry about grades during a pandemic,” senior Paige Keig said. “It’s extremely damaging to mental health to be told that school and grades are more important than contracting Covid.”

Currently, the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccine are both authorized by the CDC. Both require two doses, but Johnson & Johnson are working on getting their vaccine that only needs one shot approved.

“I am so ready to see my family and let my own children get back to something normal, and the vaccine is the safest way to do that,” Scherzer said. “It comes down to personal choice, but you have to keep public health in mind.”

Frontline healthcare workers, people over 65, and people over 16 with a medical condition are eligible for the vaccine in Texas. Doses are being distributed to hospitals, pharmacies, and clinics. More information about eligibility can be found here.