Valentine’s Day Pressure Unnecessary, Harmful

Among late assignments and projects, one might think meeting the standards of Valentine’s Day would be far from teenagers’ minds, yet the annual pressure is nothing if not consistent.

The strain every year from Valentine’s Day is suffocating and conforming to its standards is pointless.

According to the Suicide Prevention Service of the Central Coast (SPSCC), Valentine’s Day marks the beginning of the time of the year with the highest suicide rate. Their research suggests that 75 percent of suicide attempts are attributable to relationship problems. This can hardly be helped by the not-so-subtle reminder that is Valentine’s Day. With pink hearts claiming every surface and cupids galore, the already broken-hearted and lonesome can find themselves overly conscious of their romantic status. For some, this can be the tipping point into depression.

It’s not only the single people affected by the romance epidemic, but those already in relationships. They’re suddenly faced with an expectation to make a romantic gesture not only big and romantic, but creative as well. Even if they somehow fill those criteria, the next year they will have to outdo themselves again as well as the others around them.

Some will cite love and romance as reasons to perpetuate this clearly detrimental holiday, yet it is really just an excuse not to have to be romantic the rest of the year. There is no logical reason to shove romance into one day when there are 365 equally opportune days it can easily be spread across.

The American public as a whole needs to forget the ridiculous notion that we ought to have one day set aside for love. The pressure that comes from Valentine’s Day is unnecessary, obviously harmful, and needs to be done away with.