Superbowl: Uniting Nation Since 1967

The score is 21-17, the whole game is riding on this next play. The ball is thrown and players jump into the air. The ball is tipped and falls to the ground, the game is over. Reactions are wild, the winners throw their heads back and arms into the air, mocking the losers as they mope and fling themselves onto the ground crying. While this is indeed an emotional moment, foreign eyes may see the way these fans are acting so dramatic. However, in America, Super Bowl Sunday is practically a national holiday, one that many fans of professional football celebrate eagerly. There is so much more to the game than people realize, it can bring people and entire cities together.

The Super Bowl is in many ways like Christmas other actual holidays, in that people can get more into the season than the event itself. Fans begin planning their parties and start inviting guests before the playoffs even start, regardless if their team is even likely to be in the game. I am a classic fan who watches the game for the sport itself. The Super Bowl is a representation of the best teams from the NFL, and should be the most intense and well played game of the year. It is a ferocious battle between two teams hungry for victory, and unlike other championships, teams have but one chance to prove they are superior, not seven games like other sports. On the other end of the spectrum, some fans are tickled to death by the puns and punch lines of the famous Super Bowl commercials, or are fascinated by the flashing lights and ornately dressed dancers in the spectacle that is the halftime show, or even to see a certain quarterback who is apparently very attractive. As for this year’s super bowl, I can say I was pleasantly surprised with the most of the aspects. The Giants genuinely outplayed the Patriots, the plump dog trying to fit through the doggy door made me chuckle, and who would have guessed I would watch Madonna with my dad while my mom and grandma sat in the kitchen eating hot wings.

This year I noticed the plethora of stories involved with the game. It is a journalist’s paradise, with stories ranging form players’ expectations or life stories, to the workers who helped prepare the stadium. Maybe the design of the championship ring or players that were dropped from the team the day before the game. The pre-game show can last hours with special stories reported by a variety or commentators talking to multiple guests about any subject you can think of. For a future reporter like myself, I am fascinated by the ideas that were generated to keep viewers’ attention before the game.

Delving deeper into the Super Bowl’s meaning to America, we can see what it does for people. Spectators can be bitter enemies, but embrace each other in ecstasy as their favorite player runs down the field with the ball. Every fan, player and official has to eat, sleep and get merchandise somewhere. Every super bowl party across the nation needs food and decorations. Much like holiday seasons, people all across the nation spend money to get in the spirit, giving a small boost to the economy of many places.

I enjoy Super Bowl weekend and try to watch the game each year. It is sad though, because it starts the dry spell lasting until August of no football. While I am glad for former Houston Texan David Carr, now a New York Giant, I await the day I see a current Texan player hoist the Lombardi trophy over his head. I was indifferent to the outcome of this Super Bowl, but I can say it was a game to be remembered.