In Key Club, Serving Goes Beyond the Classroom and into the Community

Katrina Machetta

Key Club students volunteering at Avanti Senior Living Facility before the pandemic.

Kennedy Roberts, Staffer

Klein Collins Key Club is a group where students are able to connect with their community by coming together to volunteer and make change. Though it is best to join at the beginning of the year, you can contact someone in Key Club for more information and dates for monthly meeting times. All club meetings for the 2020-2021 school year are being held over Zoom in order to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus, and all events that are held in-person by Key Club require masks and social distancing. 

In previous years, Key Club has helped complete a playground installation at Ehrhardt Elementary School, donating over 400 items to the Klein Collins High School food pantry for homeless students and their families, 100 pairs of shoes to high school students after Hurricane Harvey, and much more. Not only does Key Club build morale and relationships with those in our community, but this club looks good on college applications and could help you stand out during the admissions process as well. 

Anabella Gramling, a junior at Klein Collins, will be the club’s Webmaster next year, and encourages others to spread positivity and join Key Club. 

“Being a part of Key Club has changed my life for the better in many ways. Specifically, I learned how to be more compassionate.” Gramling said. “ Volunteering for organizations who need help, donating gifts to children who need a smile, and creating teacher appreciation gifts for the staff members who do so much for us every day, has allowed me to see what volunteering can do. Volunteering in Key Club has taught me that making someone else happy can make you happy as well.”

The president of Key Club, junior Tyler Doan, has been a part of the club since his freshman year here at Klein Collins. He highly suggests that other students join as well as it is an effective way to brighten the lives of others as well as your own, and it is a great opportunity to build relationships. 

I recommend students join Key Club as it is a great way to help your community, get volunteer hours, and meet new people who share the same interests as you,” Doan said. “No matter who you are or what you do, Key Club is sure to welcome you with open arms!” 

Since joining Key Club, volunteering has made Doan’s life more fulfilling, as now he has the ability to assist others. 

“Personally, Key Club has given me the chance to make a difference in my school and community, ” Doan said. “Because we are a volunteering organization, we have participated in events like the Woodlands Marathon, Wreaths Across America, donation drives, and nursing homes where we spend time with the elderly. Before Key Club, I never really had any opportunities to help those around me. However, Key Club opened a door to a world filled with service.” 

Being a part of Key Club is a great way to be involved in your community and build healthy relationships with the people around you everyday. Join today!

For more information, contact Key Club’s sponsor, Physics teacher Julie Bell ([email protected]) or the club president, Tyler Doan, via email ([email protected]).