Idol Inspires Freshman to Embrace Herself

I stood in awe as I saw my idol gleaming on the stage. She smiled majestically and waved to the crowd. I would give anything to let her know how much she changed my life. Little did I know, later that night, I would be able to do just that.

A year from that day I was a completely different person. I remember having so much going on at once. Diagnosed with a hair-loss disease at an early age, all my hair was gone by the seventh grade. I immediately started wearing a wig. I had self image problems throughout middle school and also faced severe bullying. Dealing with it was always a battle. By the eighth grade, I was tired of fighting a battle I felt like I could never win. Instead of giving up and letting the sadness get to me, I became empowered.

I drew inspiration from my idol Demi Lovato. She was a singer who recently overcame self image problems. The support of my peers was amazing as well. All of these things began to give me hope. I was inspired to make a change not only in myself, but in the way others looked at themselves. I began going without my wig right before my freshman year. I decided to be brave and go naturally, hopefully inspiring other students to do so. I believe that everyone is beautiful the way they are and should not be insecure.

In November of 2011, I decided to show Lovato how she inspired me. I went to the concert without my wig hoping to speak to her. At the concert I discovered the filming of her MTV documentary “Stay Strong.” When MTV heard my story they decided to interview me for the documentary. Afterwards they gave me a special surprise. I was led backstage by a cameraman and before I knew it, I was standing in front of my idol. I pulled her into a hug and told her how much she changed my life. She was so inspired she pulled me on stage that night during the concert.

After being featured in the MTV special, several news stations and magazines wanted to interview me. I sometimes reflect on the hardships that led up to these amazing events. From the low self-confidence, to the bullying, I believed life would never get better. My life has been changed forever after this experience. I am finally able to live my dreams. I may not be a celebrity, but everyday I am able to inspire others to believe they are beautiful. A few years ago, I never thought it was possible for me to achieve this much. Now I have a new spirit and a new motivation. I never realized I had all the potential within me all along. I finally realize I am beautiful the way I am.