Band Marches to Victory

This weekend the band competed at the USBands Marching Competition winning first place overall in their division as well as first place for Best Percussion, Best Music and Best General Effects.

Band director Jason Nitsch said he was proud to achieve these results, but was more proud of the students’ achievement.

[panoembed pano=”Er9pu6″ width=”100%” height=”300″]

“We are thrilled for the students to be able receive this acknowledgement of their hard work and dedication to our program,” Nitsch said. “This kind of achievement is only possible because of the individual talents and the daily engagement of all of the students in the marching band that must come together in just the right way in order for our organization to be successful.”

The band performed “Hieroglyphs,” an original marching show Nitsch composed specifically for the band this year.  Senior Drum Major Jenny Porea said she was not surprised that the band did so well, with each member putting in hours of practice, some even starting in June.

“The band has worked really hard this year, more than ever before,” Porea said. “The whole band has done their best and I know that the leaders and directors themselves are really appreciative of that. I am really happy that the band has done so well this far and that we are so close to making it to state this year.”

The band received Sweepstakes at their UIL meet last night. This weekend they will compete in the Area competition, followed by the State Level Marching Contest in San Antonio on Nov. 5.