Breaking News
The Student News Site of Klein Collins High School

Legacy Press

Legacy Press

Legacy Press

Theater Takes Third at RenFest Performance

The theater department performed their rendition of Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” at the Renaissance Festival last Wednesday. The cast and crew came in third place in the High School One Act Play competition.

The performance was part of the Renaissance Festival’s student-friendly days. During these two days, various school groups from throughout the area were invited to perform. According to director Robin Welch, the biggest challenge for the cast and crew was the switch from performing to a school stage to the stage at the Renaissance Festival.

“Our performance was done without any electronics,” Welch said. “We did not have any lights and did not have the aid of any microphones. We were also quite limited on sets and props since we had to adapt to the performance space they assigned us.”

For crew member and senior Jasmine Kardani, having to adjust to the outside stage boosted enthusiasm throughout the cast and crew.

“It was a new expericence for a lot of us,” Kardani said. “We are used to performing on our own stage and the fact that we got the chance to perform at a place like the Renaissance Festival just made an overall memorable experience, especially for us seniors.”

Aside from the Renaissance Festival performance, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” is running in the auditorium for students to experience.

“One problem we face is getting students to come and see the show,” Welch said. “Many students have a fear of Shakespeare, thinking they won’t be able to understand. Hopefully by setting it in the 70’s disco era and performing it in modern language, we will be able to attract them.”

The show will be performed tonight at 7 p.m.in the auditorium. Tickets are $6 for students and $8 for adults.