Breaking News
The Student News Site of Klein Collins High School

Legacy Press

Legacy Press

Legacy Press

“Legally Blonde” Nominated for Tommy Tune Awards

The theatre department is  being nominated for two awards this year for the school’s rendition of “Legally Blonde.” The Tommy Tune Awards, introduced in 2002, are now the biggest recognition of Houston’s high school musical theatre. This year, 45 Houston-area schools were chosen to take part in the Tommy Tune Awards.

Senior Miriam Richard said that a big factor in the success of “Legally Blonde” came from students’ recognition of the story.

“The show had a modern and fresh vibe about it that won over the hearts of high school students,” Richard said. “Parents and grandparents were able to enjoy it as well because of its traditional theme of a young girl succeeding amidst all odds.”

The winners of the Best Actor and Best Actress will go on to The Jimmy Award in New York City. There, they have the chance to compete with other musical theatre students from around the country for a scholarship to New York University.

“This year Ashlyn Connor who played Elle in our production of Legally Blonde was nominated for Lead Actress in a musical,” director Robin Welch said. “This nomination is almost unheard of as a freshman. I believe this is just the beginning of the recognition of her talent.”

Richard is nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of Paulette.

“Being nominated for a Tommy Tune award was something I did not think I could achieve,” Richard said. “Luckily enough for me, I got to play a stand out character like Paulette. Even though I put in a lot of hard work for this role, I was still able to have fun along the way.”

Welch said that individuals do not exist in theater because no one can do it all by themselves. Through that teamwork, students are able to find a place to call home.

“The theatre department is a true family. It’s a home where everyone is welcomed. I believe that camaraderie is present throughout our department and I’d like to think it shows in our productions.”