Speech and Debate Competitor Works Toward Nationals

“There’s a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.” Repeat. “There’s a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.” Repeat. “There’s a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.”

Repetition is the key to Jacob Trevino’s success. It is his mantra. His preferred method of preparing for what is to come.

Jacob, a member of debate, reluctantly admits that he is convinced a large portion of the school is not even aware that there is a debate team, and the portion that is aware of it just thinks debate is one big boring argument.

“There is a side to debate that people don’t take the time to see,” he said. “There is a side that consists solely on acting talent, which is purely performance oriented. It’s not just dreary research and then arguing over it. I’m a part of this acting portion, oral interpretation.”

Just as Jacob feels that debate is misunderstood and judged, he believes the same idea goes for him, in and out of debate.

“Whenever I go into a round for a tournament, people look at me and I can see them judging me because I’m not a typical looking theater guy or a blonde chick that always does really well,” he said. “Then I go up there and I do what I do and they’re like ‘wow, we didn’t expect that from you.’”

Jacob believes his appearance gives him a large advantage in debate because people normally believe he does not care and does not serve as much competition but by the end of his selection he can see their opinions shifting. Senior and friend Alyssa Douglas remembers meeting Trevino for the first time and being scared of him.

“He looked like this big and scary football dude, I was so intimidated by him,” she said. “Once I got to know him I realized he’s just this big teddy bear and one of the nicest people ever. He is constantly helping other people improve their selections while taking care of his own, he stops at nothing to be successful and help others.”

Jacob believes that the biggest lesson debate has taught him aside from public speaking skills is to simply be nice to people.

“I’ve met some of the meanest people ever in competition, they will seriously eat you alive,” he said. “My motto is to not pay any attention to what other people think because it truly doesn’t matter and once you can do that, you can be successful.”

Jacob’s father, Jacob Trevino Senior, finds it surprising that his son is successful in debate.

“Growing up, Jacob was extremely shy and timid,” he said. “He has always been outgoing around friends and family, but standing in front of strangers to speak publically was definitely out of the question for him. If he wants something enough, he will work for it.”

Earlier this year, Jacob qualified to compete at Nationals being held in Birmingham, Alabama this summer.

“He has become engrossed in speech and works on it daily, I guess it all goes to show that hard work really does pay off,” Jacob Trevino Senior said.