Senior Herds Accomplishment In Livestock Competitions

Senior+Herds+Accomplishment+In+Livestock+Competitions+
Photo by Marissa Ben-Asher

Senior Lauren Dasbach her day begins at 4 a.m. She allows herself enough time to drive from Magnolia to Ag barn. By the time the first period bell rings, she has already fed and cleaned her heifer.  After school, she returns to bathe feed, water and exercise her heifer.

As Lauren’s high schools days wind down, she continues to show dedication to Future Farmers of America and her passion for raising livestock, sometimes coming home at 9 p.m.

“I love all aspects of FFA, but I can only show cattle for a limited time, so I wanted to take advantage of the time I have left,” Lauren said. “I put all of my time and effort into my animals. I’m at the barn for up to four hours a day during the week and then I show on the weekends. The most challenging thing is keeping up with all of it. I have to write out my schedule everyday just to keep my head on straight.”

Photo by Marissa Ben-Asher, Legacy Media

Although Lauren will only show a heifer, young cow, this year, she has also raised pigs, poultry and horses in past years. This year Lauren will show heifer in the corresponding breed, Maine- Anjou Heifer division. Lauren has won livestock competitions as early as fourth grade.

“We have lots of great memories at shows, but the one that stands out the most was her first reining show,” Lauren’s mother, Jamie Yuna said. “In reining, you have to memorize a pattern and get your horse to do many difficult maneuvers at specific times.  She was only in the fourth grade and was competing against adults and she won. I have never missed a show.  I am her biggest supporter.”

Lauren said her favorite aspect of FFA includes socializing on the long trips to competitions with her friends and advisers.  According to sophomore Skylar Morgan, Dasbach has been someone she admires.

“She’s always really positive and outgoing,” Morgan said. “Last year during horsing judging, she would give me pointers and other things to look for. When we won the horse judgment competition, we were so excited, we almost started crying. It was pretty big deal. We won the traveling trophy from the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.”

Yuna said her daughter can be very competitive, but takes criticism seriously and works hard to improve on the every show.

“The champion handshake from the judge for all your hard work is the best part about competing,” Lauren said. “It just shows that it does all really pay off in the long run.”

Emotions also play a role. According to Lauren, she becomes attached to her animals. Her favorite animals are her heifer, Prim, and her horse, Dolly.

“This year I don’t have to worry about not getting attached because none of my animals are market stock,” Lauren said. “My major projects all have names. Prim came from the Hunger Games. When I went to look at her to buy, she was laying down in some wildflowers beside her mom and I immediately connected her to Primrose for her innocence. Dolly has been with me for the past 11 years. She’s my rock. She’s taken me to Blue Ribbons and championships. I could never replace her.”

As for her days after high school, Dasbach wants to pursue a career in physical therapy.

“Her goal at this time is to obtain her master’s degree in physical therapy,” Yuna said. “I predict that Lauren will be involved in helping others and I know for sure she will always be in the show ring with some sort of animal. “